Whew - where did the past month go? It seems time just flew by. I've been busily sewing, finishing two garments a couple of weeks ago, and in the midst of two more at present. A photo session before Mother's Day weekend was a failure, but DH took some good shots this week. Now I can blog about my new jacket.
This was made from a rather stiff ponte from Marcy Tilton, in a gorgeous color she named lapis. The color is a rich blue that is accurate in the photo above, but not as much so in the photos that follow. I really like the fabric, and pondered quite a while before choosing to use this pattern, also Marcy's, Vogue 8693. I love the size of the collar, the curved seam lines, and thought I would like the pointed hemline:
(Tiny Image for Some Unknown Reason)
But I'm getting ahead of myself. Not one to be content with a "plain" jacket, I decided to add some paint using several of Marcy's silk screens. I thought I didn't want to add much color, so at first I used only pewter Lumiere. After looking at it for a few days, I decided it needed more depth, so I added two shades of purple.
I painted on the cut out pieces, rather than on the garment after it was constructed. Sometimes this works well, and sometimes not so much. I like to group motifs together, so I really need to make sure which seam joins which, in order to place the elements in the right place. I'm fairly happy with the results, although I always see room for improvement.
So how, you may ask, did I alter the pattern to get rid of the wings? The piece for the side front (which continues to the side back) is basically a long rectangle with shaped ends. I was able to cut away part of the rectangle - the part that draped. I laid the jacket out and figured out the shape required to fill the empty space created when I ripped out the side piece. Then I trimmed away the part of the piece I didn't need. It turned out quite well, I think. The curved seams are still there, and it's roomy enough to accomodate my lower torso.
The jacket is partially lined, in the center front, upper back, and sleeves. I was hesitant to line a stretch fabric, but really wanted the slipperiness a lining offers, as it helps the jacket to lie smoothly against other garments. The fabric doesn't stretch without being tugged at, so I took a chance. At first I sewed the bottom edge of the front lining pieces to the hem of the jacket. One side of the jacket bagged, so I took out the stitches and hemmed the lining pieces separately from the jacket hem. (Sorry I couldn't get the colors in this shot more true to reality. The fabrics are a bit bluer and cooler looking than this.)
I really like this jacket, and I'm looking forward to pulling it out in September or October, when the air cools down again. Just think - I'll have a brand new coat!