|She isn't always so serious. And I don't always hold the camera so crookedly!|
This is my sister Lisa, wearing a linen, rayon and cotton shirt I funked up back in July. She loves it, and gets lots of compliments when wearing it. I swear I think I could make a dozen of these and sell them on the street!
This was a refashion only in part. The shirt is made using Diane Ericson's Nuevo Shirt pattern, which I've used many times. The fabrics are a black linen and a teal and black rayon challis from Sawyer Brook. The accents are a cotton shirt I cut up. New, from TJ Maxx. Not cheap, but the colors worked great!
The hottest feature on the shirt is the pocket.
This was as simple as it looks. I cut the sleeve apart and made it into a patch pocket, maintaining the pleats for the length of it. I changed the buttons so they all would match.
There was enough of the shirt fabric to cut the back yolk on the bias, in two pieces. It's a nice effect with the stripes, and it fits Lisa's rounded upper back well. The lower back has a center pleat. And there's a touch of bias cut challis piping running down the center of the sleeves.
So that's it. A relatively quick make that was fun to sew. And Lisa says it's fun to wear!
For those of you waiting for photos of Lisa wearing the Refashioned Men's Shirt I made back in June, I finally have some!
I'm not sure which of these I like best, as each has details I love. I think there are more of these shirts in the future, probably starting with the pattern rather than with a shirt. The fit is just better that way.
If you like to play with your sewing, I highly recommend a project like one of these. You can get creative without going way out of your comfort zone, and you'll find you really enjoy doing it!