Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Another Funky Shirt for Lisa


She isn't always so serious. And I don't always hold the camera so crookedly!

This is my sister Lisa, wearing a linen, rayon and cotton shirt I funked up back in July. She loves it, and gets lots of compliments when wearing it. I swear I think I could make a dozen of these and sell them on the street!

This was a refashion only in part. The shirt is made using Diane Ericson's Nuevo Shirt pattern, which I've used many times. The fabrics are a black linen and a teal and black rayon challis from Sawyer Brook. The accents are a cotton shirt I cut up. New, from TJ Maxx. Not cheap, but the colors worked great!

The hottest feature on the shirt is the pocket. 

This was as simple as it looks. I cut the sleeve apart and made it into a patch pocket, maintaining the pleats for the length of it. I changed the buttons so they all would match. 


There was enough of the shirt fabric to cut the back yolk on the bias, in two pieces. It's a nice effect with the stripes, and it fits Lisa's rounded upper back well. The lower back has a center pleat. And there's a touch of bias cut challis piping running down the center of the sleeves.


So that's it. A relatively quick make that was fun to sew. And Lisa says it's fun to wear!

For those of you waiting for photos of Lisa wearing the Refashioned Men's Shirt I made back in June, I finally have some!


I'm not sure which of these I like best, as each has details I love. I think there are more of these shirts in the future, probably starting with the pattern rather than with a shirt. The fit is just better that way. 

If you like to play with your sewing, I highly recommend a project like one of these. You can get creative without going way out of your comfort zone, and you'll find you really enjoy doing it!

6 comments:

  1. What a cool shirt. Love the sleeve on the front. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those shirts, comfy looking and cool styling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky sister! You made some perfect shirts for her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shirts are just brilliant ~ you have a great eye for styling ... J

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa! Fabulous. Has Diane seen a picture of this Nuevo shirt? I must now run buy that pattern.

    And I love, love, love the pocket from the sleeve cuff. Hope it's ok to copy you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely LOVE what you have made here. Your sister looks great, and I am jealous because she has some cool duds. I was JUST looking at the Nuevo pattern...off to buy. PR reviews are mixed on the pattern but I think I can manage it.

    ReplyDelete