Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Keeping Warm: Knitting Projects

It's been a good winter for knitting, and I've finished several items in the past month or two. First off, a scarf/shawlette in the Wingspan pattern (free on Ravelry).


The yarn is Noro Silk Garden. The "wings" are created using short rows. It's a very easy knit that's adaptable to many gauges of yarn. I chose to pin it together at the ends, but it can be worn multiple ways. It adds a good dose of color to the dark gray top I made in December.

Next up, a funky cowl knit originally for myself, but given to my beautiful sister in a moment of weakness.


Those are I-cords knit on large needles. The yarn is luscious Malabrigo Rasta, and the pattern is Ropes Cowl (on Ravelry). This was a fun and quick knit. I love how well the buttons from Sawyer Brook match the hand dyed yarn. The cowl can be worn very neat and tidy, off-kilter like in this photo, or really messy.

Why did I give it away? It seemed a bit out of proportion for me, like the ropes needed to be a bit longer. And Melanie loved it. My local yarn shop still has the yarn on hand, so I might buy more and make another one to keep.

Last, but not least, are a cowl and mittens. And they're mine! 


I purchased this soft wool yarn at the Classic Elite outlet store a couple of years ago. The colors are a tad softer than in the photo. I love the black marl throughout, and the gradual color changes. The mittens were made using The Grand Plan for Mittens from Interweave magazine. The cowl was self-designed, using instructions from Entrelac by Rosemary Drysdale. It's my first entrelac project, and I'm not pleased with the bumpy edges, but I'm satisfied enough to wear it. The cowl and the mittens kept me very warm in today's single digit temperatures.

I love, love, love how well the buttons - from Sawyer Brook, of course - match the yarn. They were destined to be together!


One more project, a cowl, is waiting for photos, while several projects are in the finishing stages, so there will be more to come!

8 comments:

  1. Love that cowl...and the buttons are perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of these are so lovely, they almost make me want to try knitting again. Almost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have the luckiest sister - all of these are just beautiful. I'm with ElleC - I wish I enjoyed knitting enough to go back to it -

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh! Yummy knitting! I particularly love your Wingspan and have it on my list to make someday. In handspun preferably. What is it with this time of year that it brings out the urge to swath oneself in wooly goodness. Oh yeah. That would be COLD!!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do the most fabulous knitting and that first shawlette is TDF! For now I will admire as I never could quite get the knack of knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pieces all of them but my favorite is the first one. Almost makes me want to knit something! No, not really,Lol.I never enjoyed knitting and I couldn't say why.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These projects are all gorgeous. You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete