Thursday, June 28, 2012

Reading Beside the Lines (and In the Mirror)


Continuing my play with B5215 for Pattern Review's One Pattern, Many Looks contest, I created this simple collage top. You may recognize the fabrics, as I used them in my Back Words Top. The stripe is bamboo/lycra, and the print is a yummy viscose/lycra from France. Both fabrics are from Sawyer Brook. The print has text printed backwards. I've read it in the mirror and can tell you it doesn't say much of anything coherent! 


I love this fabric combination, so I decided to make a short sleeve version for summer.

Splitting the pattern front and back into two pieces each was quite easy. Knowing I wanted asymmetry, I drew a line from the right shoulder at the neckline, to the hem. The front one is angled a bit toward the center at the neckline, then falls straight to the hem. The front neckline on the print side was drafted lower than the original pattern. I like the asymmetry of it. The seam I added to the back curves slightly at the shoulder, and also falls straight to the hem. 
After determining the placement of these seams, I traced my pattern pieces and added seam allowances. I considered overlapping the edges and inserting mesh in between the layers, but it seemed too busy. I opted for the simpler, cleaner look of a plain seam.

The neckband is a large mesh (from Marcy Tilton) cut on the bias, pressed in half, and stitched to the neck edge. I flatlocked the edge with my serger and topstitched 1/8" from the seam through all layers. This helps keep the band from curling outward, and I like the detail the fine line of black stitching adds.


I added another design element by hemming the striped side 1" shorter than the print. This adds a slightly quirky touch to the tee. I cover stitched the bottom and sleeve hems with my serger.
Although the colors don't exactly say "summer", the fabrics in this top coordinate perfectly with my black capris, so I know I'll enjoy wearing it. This was fun to design and sew up. If you've ever considered splitting the front and back of a tee into two pieces, I encourage you to try it. It's not difficult, and it creates a whole different look from a basic pattern.

5 comments:

  1. What a fun look the asymmetrical sides give! I love the mesh fabric at the neckline too. Beautiful on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Dixie! Every time I open bloglovin' and I see there is a post from you it sets me up for a good day. Thank you.

    What a great top, I love your choice of fabrics. I have mentally filed this idea away for future use, which likely means it will get lost in the system. 8-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear I brighten your days. And I wouldn't worry about losing this idea. Your brain might surprise you; you never know when something will pop up!

      Delete
  3. I love your tee. Such a great blend of fabrics! I found your blog from JillyBe's blog and I'm thoroughly enjoying reading and looking at your creations. Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete