Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Turtle Batik Shirt


Catching up on blogging about garments here, this shirt was made in late April. I've been waiting for a modeled photo, which just hasn't happened, for one reason (bad hair day) or another (husband's schedule not meshing with mine). So I'll forge ahead with this post anyway, as the shirt is but a fading memory in my sewing mind.

For this artistic expression, I chose the Nuevo shirt pattern from Revisions (again), a rayon batik from my collection, a solid royal linen from Marcy Tilton, and Diane Ericson's turtle stencil. 

Printing with the stencil was lots of fun. I added it to the back yoke and a re-shaped pocket, after cutting the pieces out but before sewing them. This is my favorite method of printing, as I can easily determine where the printed image will fall on my body when wearing the garment. 


After sewing, I added some hand sewn backstitching in embroidery floss. I like how this added some definition to the pieces. 



Some really great buttons from Sawyer Brook were a perfect match. They're carved and dyed coconut shell disks.


I've decided this is my take on the proverbial Hawaiian shirt. I'd never wear one right off the rack, but I'm a bit more comfortable in this version. It's not something I'd wear everywhere, but it's perfect for a barbeque, picnic, or casual night out at a seafood shack. Here's a shot of my husband and me at a function during our week in Hawaii:


P.S. Eric never drinks sweet drinks, so he must have chosen that green concoction because it matched my shirt!

*******
I just celebrated my third blogiversary! I haven't been as prolific or regular a blogger as I had initially envisioned, but I love having this place to share my creations. Thanks to all who visit here, especially those who have supported me with your comments!




10 comments:

  1. Dixie, that is SO pretty, and what a wonderful photo of you and your DH in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are very cute! Love your turtle shirt. I adore batiks and the printing makes it even more special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely shirt, nce picture, great smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a lovely shirt - very very cute - but I must say that the picture of you and hubby is gorgeous. You look stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy blogiversary! This shirt suits your style so well - I especially love the embroidery stitching on the stenciled inserts. It's obvious your DH is supporting you in every way, always - just look at those smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Dixie. This is fabulous. I aspire to your approach to creative design. The results are beautiful. And thanks for the tip for using stencils on garment sections. I will try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Martha. Your support means a lot to me!

      Delete
  7. Thank you to everyone for your kind words. Each of you matters to me in my sewing and creative work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun shirt, and definitely a fabulous take on the classic Hawaiian shirt! Love the idea for use on batik....hmmmm....... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love your creative twists, Dixie! It looks like you had a great vacay!

    ReplyDelete